Sunday, October 26, 2008

Saddened by "Improvements"


Ok, so I am deeply saddened by the destruction of some beautiful big trees due to 'improvements' for the community. Normally, these things don't bother me, but it got me thinking. Did we really need another empty shopping strip sitting where some big beautiful oaks once grew? Did we need to chop them down to get a bigger tax base for our little town? Did we have to foreclose on the owl's home that now hoots at night outside Laurie's window and frightens her? Did we have to tear apart the ground and cover it with cement for the sake of the city? I have just been saddened by the destruction outside the entry to my neighborhood. The one we chose due to the fact that there were the big trees there and not a lot of economic development-more peace and quiet. Sigh...
The good news is, when I stopped to take the picture the girls asked me why. I got to tell them I was saddened by the destruction of the trees. Aubrey decided that when she grows up she will make laws about the trees and not cutting them down unnecessarily. She said, "I will make it against the law to cut down big trees unless they are dead." Laurie said, "Me, too." Big words for a five year old, but maybe it just means there is hope for the future. Or...I'm just getting sentimental in my old age.

No comments: