So, Sunday, September 7th we had lunch at my mom's house in Georgetown. Almost everyone that lives in town was there. Mom (aka Grammy), Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Tommy, Thomas and Janis (Faith was not there), Kim and Jessica-home from college (Mike doesn't love us, so he didn't come. ;-), Jason, the girls, and I. Mom made chicken enchiladas, Kim brought the salad, Carolyn brought beans, Thomas brought rice and I brought the dessert. The whole point of this blog...that dang dessert! GRRRRRR...
So, I absolutely LOVE this 'Sherbet Surprise' dessert that my mother-in-law makes and thought it was a nice finish to a Mexican food meal. You basically mix sherbet and vanilla ice cream and put it on a cracker crust. Then you top it with this yummy glaze. And that should be called 'Frustrating glaze'...granted, I would like to use another 'F' word to describe it, but I will be polite.
I ended up making it twice. The first time it ended up looking like egg drop lemon soup. I even tried to strain the glaze-but I didn't have a mess strainer. I used a small grater attachment from my Pampered Chef cheese grater to try and strain it. THAT DOESN'T work, put the mess strainer on my Christmas list. After straining it...it still looked like egg drop soup. I threw it away and went to bed. (Anyone sense my frustration?) So, after church...lots of prayers going on to make the topping turn out right during service, I attempted it again. It still looked a little like egg drop, but I called mom and she had the strainer. Off we went to Georgetown to the strainer, and it ended up turning out just fine...frustration and all. Jason said he couldn't tell a difference between mine and his mom's, so I might try making it again.
Here's the recipe of doom...(in case anyone wants to show me up and not make egg drop topping)
Sherbet Delight
Crust:
1 1/2 cups crushed Ritz Crackers ( one stack ) I use a little more because I love the crust!
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 stick butter, melted
Filling:
1 qt. lime sherbet, softened slightly
1 qt. vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
Topping:
6 Tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice ( I use almost twice this much - suit your own taste )
2 eggs well beaten
Mix crackers, sugar, butter. Press into 9x12 pan. Quickly mix sherbet and ice cream in a large bowl and blend well. Spoon onto top of crust and smooth. Put into freezer while you make topping.
Cook together topping ingredients over medium heat until thick, stirring CONSTANTLY. Cool mixture and spread evenly over top of ice cream/sherbet mixture. Freeze overnight. Cut into squares. May top each piece with a strawberry.
No where in the recipe from Diane did it say to not melt the butter first-because the pan would be hot and make egg strings OR start slowly and bring to a boil. So, be wary...and learn from my mistakes!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment